Traffic Survey

Ikaika Gonzalez-Bentosino, Writer

Accidents, speeding, close calls with pedestrians. There has been a rising rate of incidents on the streets surrounding the TEC campus. The Pirateer staff is now partnering with the Englewood Traffic Division to get to the bottom of the issues. We recently put together an eight-question survey and sent out the full resources of the newspaper to get some answers.

Students, staff, and parents took part in the survey. Here is what we found:

Students and staff believe we need more signs and school zones.

As far as solutions, the survey found many would like to block the parking on Logan Street. Suggestions include putting up cones to make the exits and entryways more visible for drivers. Most of the responses were people saying block the parking on Logan and then put more traffic signs up or school signs up.

We asked kids if they knew the speed around the TEC campus? our top 2 responses were 20 mph and the other response was they didn’t know. The percentages were 37.1 on 20 mph and 28.6 on didn’t know.

“Do you drive to fast?” Responses were swayed towards people not speeding around our campus. The percentages were 70.6 to 26.5 and people think they don’t drive too fast.

Do we need more speed zone signs around the campus? On the survey majority of the people said that yes we need more signs because there’s been a lot of accidents around our school because of reckless drivers.

Results of the survey will be sent to the city managers to review. We may know in the coming months it the results prompt changes to the traffic patterns around the TEC campus.
interview:
anonymous stop parking by the stop sign on logan. there is really no speeding around the campus.