New coach brings new energy to EHS football

Mike Campbell is excited to become part of a tight knit community

Ikaika Gonzalez-Bentosino, Pirateer Staff

“This is the type of coach that will make Englewood big. We will become a better football team and better school,” Angel Villarruel (10) said after listening to the new head coach for Englewood’s football program. Players, parents and community members were on hand for the big announcement Wednesday when Athletic Director Nate Smith and Principal Ryan West introduced Mike Campbell as the new head coach.

Campbell was chosen from a pool of over 40 applicants, “This is the deepest candidate pool we’ve ever had. Through that process, we had one candidate who stood out. He had a strong belief in mentoring our students,” Principal Ryan West said.

Students are excited knowing this is a big deal. Mike Campbell is a Littleton native. He played football at Arapahoe High school and has been coaching the Arapahoe Warriors for 22 years. The last 15 years he has had the head coaching job. It is a 5A powerhouse. Campbell said he was ready for a challenge, “I’ve always wanted to coach in a small town. When I saw this job I pursued it. I think when you take a job to be head football coach you look at three things; people, facilities, and to be in a community that loves its school and its football,” Campbell said. Campbell is not quitting Arapahoe altogether. He will stay on as a physical education teacher and drive to Englewood after school for weight training practice with players beginning in January.

Campbell has a 90-68 career record and that has EHS players hoping for a banner season next year, “He sounds like he knows what he is doing, but we will see during the summer time and football season,” Pedro Sanchez (10) said.