EHS journalism students honored by CSMA

17 state-wide awards show the commitment students have to their craft.

Karla Shotts, Adviser

We are so excited to announce that Broadcasting, Journalism, and Yearbook students earned 17 awards from the Colorado Student Media Association (CSMA). 

Karla Shotts
PirateTV takes home 5 of the 17 awards earned by students at EHS

CSMA is the organization that guides journalism programs all over Colorado by encouraging interest in journalism through participation in school publications, raising the standards of school publications, and encouraging the recognition of journalism as an important course of study – particularly as it reflects the ability of students to use the mass media in understanding their role as media consumers and citizens.

The amazing students in the program showed journalistic integrity and a commitment to covering our Englewood community with pride.

They took home five-first place awards, five-second place honors, and four third place finishes. In addition, the students took home three honorable mention awards (similar to 4th place). All of the media outlets were honored in some way by the CSMA. Our students compete against 16 other schools in our categories.

This year, the journalism group added live-streaming and podcasts to the long list of ways we interact with the school community and the Englewood population at large. We continue to push for excellence in all of the stories, broadcasts and podcasts so we tell the true story of the activities within the walls of EHS.

Karla Shotts
The Pirateer staff won 10 awards for their work in the newsmagazine and the online platform.

We are so proud of their accomplishments! The full list of winning entries is attached.

CSMA awards list