EHS Announcements Sept. 6, 2017

PirateTV

PirateTV

Hi and welcome to the PirateTV announcements for the week of september 6th, 2017… I’m Shy

and I’m Carlos

(XX)You could see a few of your fellow students disappear from your classrooms over the next few years. The worries are real among Englewood High school students watching the DACA debate unfold across the country. DACA is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. The Pirateer newspaper staff has been looking into this story.

_vo_

(XX) The DACA change prompted walkouts from schools across Denver. According to 9 News, a group of students walked out of classes and up to the Auraria Campus. Many students were wearing backpacks and carrying signs with messages like ‘Defend DACA’ and ‘Our dreams can’t wait.’

Experts say the program has given nearly 800,000 young immigrants a reprieve from deportation and the ability to work legally in the country.

Congress has some time to find a legislative solution to replace the program.

(XX)You are seeing haze in the air and smoke from 80 large fires burning in nine western states.

-Vo-

According to the associated press, these wildfires burning in western U.S. states sent smoke into cities from Seattle to Denver — prompting health warnings and cancellations of outdoor activities for children by many school districts.

The National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho, says the fires are burning on 2,200 square miles.

(XX)Friends and family of EHS students are watching anxiously as Hurricane Irma is barreling toward the Florida coast.

-vo-

The national weather service is reporting… the extremely dangerous Hurricane Irma pounded small northern Caribbean islands Wednesday morning as one of the strongest storms recorded in the Atlantic — and is on a path to hit parts of the British Virgin Islands and perhaps skirt northern Puerto Rico later in the day.

Irma’s core, with maximum sustained winds of 185 mph — well above the 157 mph threshold of a Category 5 — slammed Barbuda early Wednesday before hitting Saint Martin and Anguilla.

(XX)The yearbook class is selling the 2017-2018 yearbook. It is only $45! Seniors, don’t miss the chance to get your last yearbook! You can order the yearbook from Ms. Shotts in room 1112. If you have already ordered a yearbook, you can pick it up at the Luau in May.

Also, make sure to download the Image Share app to your phone. You can share all of your own pictures to the yearbook staff.

(XX)”Have you ever heard your favorite song on the radio and wanted

to play it yourself? At the New Guitarists Club, you’ll

learn the ins and outs of the acoustic guitar. It is

only $50, you’ll get a guitar you can keep and free weekly lessons

throughout the whole year. We’ll meet on Tuesdays at 3:45-4:45,

but outside practice is also necessary to be successful. You can

sign up in the main office, but hurry, because there are limited

spots!”

(XX)The Englewood Wrestling Team is ready to Rumble! Preseason weightlifting and wrestling will be every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday after school. See Coach Moreno for information. Follow the team on twitter @TECWrestlers.

(XX)Girls softball plays wedensday and saturday.

the boys soccer team plays thursday.

There is a football game friday and a volleyball tournament Friday.

Cross country has a meet saturday as well.

(XX) have a great week!