Categories:

Homecoming 2024 – Meet Me at Midnight

September 7-14, 2024
Flag painting starts the Homecoming activities a week before the actual week. This year, it is September 7-14.
Lupita Esparza
Get your spirit on
Get your spirit on

Countdown to Homecoming
Homecoming Week Begins!

Homecoming 2024 is an exciting time for EHS students.

“It gives people a chance to interact with people they normally wouldn’t. It also gives the freshman a sense of excitement that there are a lot of fun things to do in high school,” said senior Ada Brown.

The spirited week kicks-off Saturday, September 7, 2024, with Hallway decorating. This is when separate classes, 9-12, decorate sections of the school to reflect the homecoming theme, “Meet Me at Midnight,” For many students, it’s a great way to kick off the school year, “I can’t wait for homecoming week,” said La Marr Sykes (25)

Searching the library archives, a yearbook page from a 1946 Englewood annum, shows a calendar of sorts that includes October 28 as the date of Orpheum performances. This is believed to be the start of Homecoming traditions at EHS. Orpheum performances were a vaudeville tradition including games, performances, and dances.

If we count this date as the beginning, this year would mark 78 years of Homecoming activities.

The first rendition of homecoming at EHS was called the Orpheum but rather than it being dress-up days, spirit activities, and a dance, the Orpheum was a display of performances from various clubs at EHS. Later in 1946, there is a mention of Homecoming taking place around the same time of year that it still does today. In 1946, we see the first homecoming queen was named Dorothy Tremaine.
Homecoming Traditions

Homecoming is an annual tradition in the United States. People, towns, high schools and colleges come together, usually in late September or early October, to welcome back former members of the community. It is always built around a central event, such as a banquet or dance and, most often, a game of football. The football game is played on a school’s home football field, activities for students and alumni, a parade featuring the school’s choir, marching band and sports teams, and the coronation of a homecoming queen (and at many schools, a homecoming king). A dance commonly follows the game or takes place the day after the game.

Students get their first chance to participate in Homecoming by painting their flag.
Seminar Flag Painting – Colors, slogans and a whole lot of spirit

Students at Englewood High School poured out onto the front lawn to paint flags and show school spirit, “The memories last forever,” said Makenna Keoppel (25). For the two weeks ahead of Homecoming week, seminar classes decide on a slogan, colors, and a design for their flag. Students will carry their flag during the assembly.

For EHS seniors, flag painting is tradition, “I like it because they enjoy thinking about names and designs, and then the flag shows who belongs with who during assemblies,” said Kai Robb (25′). The tradition dates back several decades at Englewood High School and gives a sense of belonging to Seminar classes. Flag painting started on August 28, during Seminar time.

Flag painting on the front lawn of EHS is the first official activity of Homecoming Week. Students look forward to the events, “Homecoming week always gets people excited,” said Crystal Santos (25), “I’m intrigued to see how spirit week turns out,” said Kimberly Montes (26).

For others, it is one event, “I can’t wait for the Homecoming football game,” said Albert Goorman (25), “I’m most excited about the football game and the school spirit,” said Aspen Loebig (25), “I’m excited about homecoming,” said Bella Rose (28).

Students get their first chance to participate in Homecoming by painting their flag. (Lupita Esparza)
What does Homecoming mean to you?

“Homecoming is a great experience,” said Ashley Berry (26′). Berry is a junior who has taken part in the Homecoming activities all of her years at EHS. Her friend, junior Alex Fox likes the mid-week activities, “I am excited for the Bonfire and Powderpuff game,” said Alex Fox (26). Just as in past years, the bonfire and Powderpuff game falls on Wednesday, “I’m excited to see  the bonfire with all my friends,” said Hunter Clark (28)

All week long, it’s dressing up for spirit week and many students love expressing themselves, “I’m excited to see what people dress up as for spirit week,” said Karla Celaya Dominguez (26).

Two huge events wrap up the week, the football game on Friday night, “The homecoming game is always my favorite,” said Sophia Savoy (25), and the Homecoming dance on Saturday, “I’m excited to get ready for the homecoming dance with my friends,” said Lupita Esparza (26). She and her friends like the vibe at the dance, “I’m excited to experience my 3rd dance with my friends,” said Elijahney Lochard (26). Dressing up is something they look forward to, “I can’t wait to see all my friends dressed up at the dance,” said Christina Molina (26).

HoCo Hallway Decorations
HoCo Hallway Decorations

EHS students from all grades came in on a Saturday to decorate the hallways for Homecoming week. Each class picks a theme and tries to outdo each other to win Best Hallway Decor.

Dylan Noll and Alex Fox dress up for Homecoming in their best White Lie.
White Lies – Spirit Day Monday

The concept is simple: come to school in a white T-shirt with a white lie written in bold, black letters on the front. Students at EHS stepped up their game and came up with unique sayings. Tall students wrote, “I’m 4′ 11”, while smaller students wrote, “I’m 6’4”.

Decades Day - Spirit Day Tuesday
Decades Day – Spirit Day Tuesday

From the ultra-cool 60’s to big hair 80’s, students and staff went all out for Decades Day on the Tuesday of Homecoming week.

Students are finding unique ways to ask others to the Homecoming Dance, which is Saturday, September 14, 2024
Rhyme without reason – Wednesday Spirit Day

Frat Bro, Tennis Pro and Average Joe, Wild West, and Princess, Superbowl, and Rock and Roll. Students and staff came up with creative rhymes for this unusual dress-up day.

Students are finding unique ways to ask others to the Homecoming Dance, which is Saturday, September 14, 2024 (Karla Shotts)
Building the bonfire

Students in the yearbook and ceramics class help build the bonfire during Homecoming week. This is an annual tradition for Yearbook staff.

Boys dress as cheerleaders and the girls play football during the annual Powderpuff game.
Powderpuff annual football game

The weather was beautiful as the teams took to the field on the Wednesday during Homecoming week. This is the annual Powderpuff football game pitting upperclassmen against the underclassmen. The game is coached by football players on the EHS roster. In the end, the senior-junior team won 26-6. Boys dress as cheerleaders and learn cheers, chants and stunts supporting the players. Photos by Sophia Savoy

Boys dress as cheerleaders and the girls play football during the annual Powderpuff game. (Sophia Savoy)
The historic EHS bonfire is lit every year during Homecoming week.
EHS Historic Bonfire

For decades, EHS students have stood around a raging fire on the grounds of the school to celebrate Homecoming. This year was no exception as the Denver Fire Department doused the piles of wood with kerosene and lit the 2024 bonfire. The band played the fight song and the crowd basked in the light.

The historic EHS bonfire is lit every year during Homecoming week. (Christina Molina)
Students gather for the pep assembly ahead of the Homecoming football game vs Littleton.
Homecoming Parade and Pep Rally

Thursday of Homecoming was a day of celebration. Students boarded buses for the annual parade around Englewood elementary and middle schools. Students in clubs and activities hype up the rest of the district and get students excited about high school Homecoming activities. Then, when the parade returns to EHS, it’s time for the pep assembly. Students chant the school fight song and play games.

Students gather for the pep assembly ahead of the Homecoming football game vs Littleton. (Lupita Esparza)
HoCo Whiteout game got students excited to throw powder after every touchdown.
Homecoming Football Game: EHS vs Littleton Final score 63-0

There was a large crowd on hand for the annual Homecoming football game against Littleton on the Friday of Homecoming week. The Pirates put on a stellar show with a solid win 63-0. The homecoming court was presented during halftime and Naomi Vazquez and Joe Carter were crowned Royals.

Homecoming Court 2024

Freshmen

Carolina Chavez

Baylor Kaaz

Sophomores

Isabelle Bouchard 

Daniel Cullin

Juniors

Violet Cuenca Fregoso 

Maile Manfre 

Dylan Noll 

Thomas Theis

Seniors

Joe Carter

Sarah Claveria 

Nana Essel-Arhinful 

Brookelyn McCann

Joseph McMains

Naomi Vazquez

HoCo Whiteout game got students excited to throw powder after every touchdown. (Lupita Esparza)
View Story Comments
Donate to The Pirateer
$161
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Englewood High School - CO. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.