The student news site of Englewood High School

A year in review: Business minds flourish at EHS

May 21, 2019

Business students learn real-world applications

Business 1 students used their knowledge to plan a real-world business

The students are new to business strategies and spent the first part of the semester learning entrepreneurship, financial budgeting for start-up costs, and marketing. These are 9th and 10th-grade students so the concepts are new and out of context until students put their knowledge to practice with real-world application. As an example, food trucks rely heavily on marketing via social media. Their businesses will not succeed without the low-cost options of Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

The final project was developing a business concept for a food truck. Students designed menu, designs, colors, logos and even modeled the truck itself. The students learned about the psychology of color and how that relates to eating habits and even the power of leaving the dollar sign off a menu and how it drives people to spend more.

Business 2 students run a coffee shop at school

Business 2 students took the year to not only run a real-world business inside the walls of EHS but the business they chose helped keep the students and staff energized through the end of the day. This year, students created the highly successful Pier 13 coffee shop that opened nearly every day during 5th period. The Pier 13 logo was created as an entire class. The color blue was chosen to be on trend turquoise, and the font was chosen for its readability. The class chose Pier 13, in reference to the Englewood Pirates being able to steer their ships to the Pier to fill up and the number 13 comes from the year EHS opened 1913.

Students learned to work the espresso machine pretty quickly and in fact, two of the four workers ended up with jobs at local coffee shops. In the end, students took their class knowledge to work, and then returned from work in the real-world with tips for the school run business. Students took orders online and delivered to classrooms during 5th period.