Summer Science Scholars Program for High School Students

Center for STEM

Pirateer Staff

The Center for Advanced STEM Education (CASE) announces the summer program for 2016-2017 incoming high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors (10th, 11th, 12th grade). This three-week full day program of learning science and science reasoning skills through a research based project is funded in part by Xcel Energies Foundation, Madigan, Virginia Hill, Peierls Foundation, Kinder Morgan Foundation and by the Colorado Alliance for Minority Participation (CO-AMP). The Program is open to students who are eligible for admission in College to the CO-AMP Program.

Program Name:     The Summer Science Scholars Program

Where:    Metropolitan State University of Denver

Dates:     June 13 – July 1, 2016

Times:      9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. daily (lunch will be provided daily)

Application Deadline: May 20, 2016, by 5pm.

More information is here at this link: http://msudenver.edu/case/summersciencescholars/

Brief Description of the Program: The Program’s goal is to assist participants to be successful in College entry level courses leading to STEM degrees. The Summer Science Scholars Program will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for a three week period. Students will be learning various math and science skills in the first week and be applying those skills learned to a research project of their choosing. On the last day of the program, students will present their research project to their friends, family, and teachers.

Examples of previous year projects are Biodiesel Project – students converted used cooking oil into soap and lotion. Microbial Identification Project – students identified microbes on their hands using DNA sequencing techniques.

Instructors: Dr. Michael Jacobs, Dr. Mark Koester, Dr. Hsiu-Ping Liu, and Dr. Jerry Shultz

Information: Application form is available online at http://www.msudenver.edu/case/summersciencescholars/

Please call CASE for additional information or questions.

Telephone: 303-556-4740   Fax: 303-556-5107