Opinion – Doors VS Wheels – Yes, we are asking!

Wheels Vs Doors debate

Jeremy Anderson, Staff Writer

Are there more doors or wheels? Over the past half year, the question popped up on the internet. It asks, “are there more doors or wheels in the world? Some might find this question incredibly stupid, but I was rather intrigued by this wonder.

The entire debate started in March 2022, when Ryan Nixon (@NewYorkNixon) from Aukland, New Zealand put out into the universe, his debate with friends. He had no idea it would go viral.

In his tweet, Nixon wrote: “My mates and I are having the STUPIDEST debate… And I am here for it,” before proposing he posed the question “Do you think there are more doors or wheels in the world?”

Since there is no set way to count every individual door and wheel in the world, I thought it’d be best if we tried taking in every possible subject that could alter the conclusion to our question. An Englewood student, who is a junior believes there is only one answer, ”I think there’s definitely more wheels in the world. For every room, there’s one door, but you could surmise that if there are rolly chairs in that room, there could be hundreds of wheels.”

Although that student has a point, I questioned it further with my own philosophy that perhaps cabinet doors and toy house doors counted. If that was the case, then surely there must be more doors worldwide. But one student took a different approach, “There are more wheels than doors. With all the Amazon factories containing a bunch of wheels in their conveyor belts.”

A shocking answer that in my opinion leaves the question answered. 

In a recent Tik Tok poll, wheels won 56 percent out of 200, 223,337 votes. The hashtags that engaged the most people were  #doorsvswheels and #wheelsvsdoors.  #doorsvswheels has been used 240.8 million times and  #wheelsvsdoors has been used 143.8 million times.