The student news site of Englewood High School

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

The road back from injuries

Junior wrestler Avery Garcia fights back to the mat
EHS+Boys+wrestling+team+is+strong+this+season.+Junior+Avery+Garcia+pictured+center+right.+
Mardell Ostrom
EHS Boys wrestling team is strong this season. Junior Avery Garcia pictured center right.

“The doctors say I’m accident-prone,” said Junior Avery Garcia, a long-time wrestler and letterman. Garcia has been wrestling since he was four, inspired by his brother because he “wanted to be just like him.” So far this season has been one of the hardest for Garcia personally after enduring multiple injuries rendering him unable to compete. He started the season off tearing his meniscus before the first tournament, then he broke his toe during his first match back. Because of all of this, he has just been able to come back to the mat.

Getting injured isn’t the only thing that has strained Garcia this season; he is also an Honors and AP student finding it difficult to balance his school work, wrestling, and social life. So far he says it’s been rough for him trying to balance it all but he always manages to pull it together, “I got a few AP classes that I feel like I’m falling behind on practice and homework is a lot but I manage,” Garcia said. 

As with any sport, perseverance is key. The boys wrestling team as a whole has been doing great this season. It is the third season coached by Matthew Burton and Jesse Lucero. Teammates and coaches agree it’s the best season yet with regionals and state ahead. The whole team is buzzing with excitement as some of the front runners are showing promise, “We feel like we have a few boys that can punch their ticket to the ball arena, ” Coach Burton said.  

Even with the countless setbacks and injuries Garcia has gone through, he is always persistent and stays strong with the team. After years of wrestling, he sticks with it because he loves the community that comes with it all. Really what makes it worth it for him is the team camaraderie and knowing he can be there for the people that need him, “It’s like a family. We all go to lunch together and hang out. That’s really the only reason I’m there,” Garcia said. 

He has healed up and fought through all the trials and tribulations and seems as ready as he’ll ever be to go back to wrestling. With his long-standing athletic history and encouragement from his coaches, friends, and family, it is clear that Avery Garcia will always get back on his feet.