EHS announcements (week of November 10th, 2016)

The latest news from the TEC campus

Hi and welcome to the Pirate TV announcements for the week of November 10th.

We are hearing reaction to the election outcome… Senior Edgar Reed-Sandoval says he is surprised and pretty angry that people supported Trump. He is one of many students and teachers around the TEC campus who stayed up late to watch election results. It was the wee hours when Republican Donald Trump was declared the winner of the Presidential race. TV news shows reported that Trump won states expected to vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton. Reed-Sandoval worries that a Trump presidency may ruin the economy. Junior Anea Winfield hopes this election doesn’t fuel more conflict, She says, “There is too much conflict in our country and society that’s been building for over a century”.

Englewood’s elementary schools; Bishop, Charles Hay World School, Cherrelyn, Clayton and the Early Childhood Center at Maddox will all be replaced after voters passed ballot issue 3D and 3E. The measures are in the form of a bond and a mill levy and asked voters for $97.5 million to replace the schools, and a $1.5 million dollar mill levy override. If you are interested in being involved in next steps for bond and mill levy planning, you can write the district at [email protected].

We are celebrating veterans day Friday, November 11th. At 7:30 there is Breakfast for all Veterans in the commons, students are welcome to join them for sharing stories. at 8:10 Flag raising ceremony at the Veterans Monument outside of Fisher Auditorium. And at 8:25 Veterans share stories with students in Library and in classrooms.

Dozens of Englewood High School students got to feel what it was like to participate in a stock exchange at the DU Stock Market Challenge. The 2016 JA Stock Market Challenge was in Denver. The EHS FBLA team consisting of Daniel Martens, Marta Mansbacher, Megan Redford and Matthew Mendez placed 2nd. All other EHS teams place in the top 20.

The gala is tonight… EHS Choirs is hosting a Vocal Arts Fundraising Gala featuring all Visual, Culinary, and Theater Arts classes. This Open House Performance Event that will be held in the Middle School spine for an amazing and fabulous experience of music, hors d’oeuvres (OR DERVS) visual art, silent auction, and more! If you buy them before the Gala, it will be $13 for youth ages 5-18, $16 for adults 19 and older, However, at the door, tickets will cost $15 for youth and $20 for adults.

Want an interesting question to debate? What would you do if you heard that a five-year-old child accidentally ate some marijuana edibles fell off a balcony and died. That is what this year’s Mock Trial case is all about. Prosecutors will be holding the company that sold the edibles responsible for the death. Defense attorneys will defend the company, saying the five-year old’s father should have been more responsible. Which side would you choose? The team is meeting every Wednesday from 3:35 – 4:15 in 3406. There is still a need for witnesses as well as attorneys. See Ms. Corn for more details or just show up on Wednesday, November 16.

Yearbook class is in the process of selling this years edition. It is only $45 and will be worth every penny! Seniors, don’t miss this chance to get your last yearbook! You can order your yearbook online at Balfour.com. Your parents can make a special yearbook page there as well! That’s Balfour.com!

Also, please remember seniors, the deadline for senior pictures has passed. You need to talk to Ms. Shotts about the special senior picture day coming up in a few weeks.

Seniors last call: Balfour will be in the commons during lunch on Monday, November 14th . This is the last day they will be in the school to take orders for the cap and gowns for graduation. If you need a packet there are some available in the main.

If you are interested in Basketball… Tryouts are November 11th , 14th , and 15 th . You must attend all three tryout days, after the tryouts, they will have regular practices.

Here are your weekly activities. Again, Tonight we have the Vocal Arts Gala. On Friday at 7:00 we have the EMS Musical. Then on Saturday we have another round of the EMS Musical at 1:00pm

have a great week!!!!