Help for school damaged in Hurricane Harvey

Riley Jones and Allie Hunt

http://www.houstonisd.org/bellairehigh

Englewood students watched on TV the devastation unfold during Hurricane Harvey. The storm damaged houses, businesses, and schools leaving thousands of people in Texas struggling to clean up and rebuild.

The Colorado Journalism Education Association partnered with the same group in Texas called the Texas Journalism Education Association to partner with high school programs who are rebuilding after the storm.

EHS was partnered with a Houston school called Bellaire High. According to its website, the school has more than 3,500 students. It has a diverse population and offers AP and IB programs.

The head of the journalism department says they are just now starting to get back to normal, “As you can imagine, we’ve had something of a rushed start to the beginning of the year. I’m not sure if we are in any immediate need of supplies or anything. The biggest thing we’re having trouble with is just selling enough books quickly enough to raise money for the JEA trip to Dallas we were hoping to go on,” says yearbook and journalism adviser Joe Holloway.

He says students are wanting to be as normal as possible and take part in field trips, “People have supplies, but there isn’t a lot of disposable income down here at the moment.”

Until we find out exactly what they need, coming up with ideas to help it the best use of our time, “We could have a can good drive, or we could send cases of water because they probably don’t have a good water supply right now,” said Kody Gruska (12).