EHS announcements 12/6/2017

PirateTV

PirateTV

(BMI license request for open song sent 12/6/17)

Hi and welcome to the PirateTV announcements. I’m Katie Maraja…

And I’m Carlos Martinez.. thanks for joining us.

(Katie) Car accidents, shootings, volatile relationships have been on the minds of students at Englewood high school. Many students are spending time with counselors trying to process tragic events like the Las Vegas shooting and incidents with friends and family.

Shy Clanton has our story.
(pkg)

(katie)Psychology Today recently ran an article helping students have healthy conversations about the scary things that happen.

It says you should ask the person you turn to, whether it is an adult or a friend to listen to your concerns and to try not to interrupt as they process their feelings. If you are on the listening side, our counselors say, try to be strong and hear your friend out. If it is overwhelming, you can ask them to speak to an adult.
You do not need an appointment to speak to a counselor, if you are in crisis, you may ask to leave class right in that moment.

(Carlos)
Dozens of women have openly accused Movie Producers, comedians and actors of sexual harassment, sexual assault or other sexual misconduct. Many are saying this has exposed a culture of powerlessness and intimidation.

We were wondering if this may be a generation issue. We wonder if many young girls feel harassed at all. You can comment on our on line poll at the pirateer dot com.
(fs)
A poll taken by the national women’s law center surveyed 1,003 teen girls between the ages of 14 to 18 from across the United States.
According to the report, 1 in 5 girls between 14 and 18 years old (21 percent) reported they had been kissed or touched without their consent.

(Katie)We went nearly the entire month of November without snow fall in Englewood. We decided to take a closer look at how students at TEC feel about the climate. Many students and teachers have different views on this issue. Shy Clanton has our story.
(PKG)
Climate change is a pressing, controversial problem in today’s society. We asked around school to find out what EHS students thought of this issue. Kayden Gammit says climate change is real and is directly affecting us.
(SOT) kayden
This early October snow storm is a worrying reminder of the extreme weather that is caused by drastic climate change. With damaging hurricanes across the South and fires devastating the West, these issues are more apparent than ever. Mr. Silva, an English teacher, says humans are playing a big part in this severe weather.
(SOT) silva
Some students believe that we should be doing more to fix our climate by relying less on coal and oil. By switching over to more renewable sources of energy, such as solar, we could possibly reverse the effects of climate change and work towards creating a healthier environment. Senior Aliah Patter has more.
(SOT) aliah
As a school community, we should start to focus on cleaning up our climate and working to prevent severe weather like hurricanes and snowstorms, both for ourselves and generations to come.

(carlos) Seniors Mar-ya Alsubhi (all-soo-bee) and Daniel Martins are in the running for a full paid scholarship to the 4 year colllege of their choice. They are both Boetcher scholarship semi-finalists. We caught up to Daniel and asked what went in to his application.
(sot)

Maryah says when she was asked what she likes to do and why. She was told if she has quirky parts in her application she would possibly go on to the next round. She told the panel, she collects souvenir. She keeps snow globes, receipts, old plane tickets to remind her of the best days of her life. On January 27th, they find out if they are finalists. On March 7, 8 and 9th the finalists are interviewed. 42 are chosen for the scholarships. Maria plans to use the money at either DU or CU-Boulder.

(Katie)The new rules about cell phone use, behavior and trash went into effect a few weeks ago. While cell phones are being put away and are less of a distraction, we are still seeing a lot of trash around the campus.
here is our story.
(PKG)

(carlos)How fast can you answer questions about safe driving skills? Students at Englewood High school put their skills to the test during an interactive all-school assembly put on by the Colorado Department of Transportation.
(vo)
The students took part in “Think Fast”, an experiential team building, and awareness program that, according to the CDOT website, utilizes multi-digit audience response System (ARS) technology wireless remote controls. Students who took part in the assembly were moved into teams and one member of each team got a remote to answer questions which pooped up on screens in the front of the auditorium. The hope is that the message of prevention, responsibility, and awareness are non-intrusively reinforced.

(katie)As winter break approaches, we want to wish you a safe and joyous holiday. (vo) Winter break is a great time to work on your driver’s education requirements. You can get your Colorado drivers permit and help Englewood High School at the same time! Ask your counselor for more information.

(carlos) Seniors… Herff Jones is the new provider for cap and gown orders.
(vo)
Representatives were here last week but if you missed your chance it’s not to late.
(sot)
The deadline is December 10th.

(katie)Seniors, you missed the deadline to turn in your senior picture. You now need to speak to Ms. Shotts and beg her for mercy!!!!! Out of 135 seniors, only 40 of you turned in senior pictures. We don’t want your ID picture to be used in the Yearbook, so please take a moment and speak to Ms shotts about your options!!!!!
(vo)
The yearbook class is selling the 2017-2018 yearbook. It is only $45! You can order the yearbook from Ms. Shotts in room 1112. If you have already ordered a yearbook, you can pick it up at the Luau in May.

(carlos)We will be back with a look at weather right after this break.

(commercial)

(xx)Weather by Shy Clanton

(commercial)

(sports)
(katie)The wrestling team needs some lightweight and middleweight wrestlers to fill our lineup.
(vo)
If you weigh 160 pounds or less we want you to join the wrestling team. This is the last week to join the team so come to the wrestling room after school.
(sot)

Coach Moreno wants to have a determined wrestling team and wants to make this season the best one yet.

(carlos)The girls swim team had its first meet last night at Hinkley High School.

(katie)Boys basketball plays thursday and saturday and girls basketball plays thursday and saturday.

(carlos) The wrestling team takes on Heritage and Sheridan thursday. Wrestling begins at 5:00 pm. This is the first home Tri-Meet in almost a decade, so don’t miss it!

We will be right back.

(commercial)

(katie) Many of our teachers took part in No Shave November.
(pic)
The goal is to grow awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free. Members of our staff donate the money they typically spend on shaving and grooming to educate about cancer prevention, save lives, and aid those fighting the battle.

(carlos) Finally today… It was a very festive weekend. Members of our band and choir performed for the community Saturday to kick off the holiday season. The band was in the parade and the choir sang for the crowd right up to the tree lighting.
(sot 5,4,3,2,1)

Thanks for joining us… have a great week.