The Pirateer

Filed under School, Showcase, Sports

A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

Mammoth players replace stolen gear

The officer who took the theft report

EHS senior Travis Hastings has played lacrosse for years. It is his life. It is his future. Then, one day, last week, it was all gone.

“I was heartbroken. Look, my lacrosse gear is how I live, it’s what I do, it’s my happy place. To have my stuff stolen, my heart sunk. I’ve been in a funk the past week because I didn’t have it,” Hastings said. 

All of his gear was stolen from a car. Littleton Officer Andy Barnard took the call,  “Last week I responded to a call of a kid who had his lacrosse bag stolen out of his dad’s car. Meeting his parents, I learned the kids’ name is Travis Hastings. He was a lacrosse player for Englewood and was MVP and has won several awards he just got a scholarship to a college in Illinois.” The officer decided to help, “To have equipment like that stolen before you are about to have this life-changing experience. I thought it was devastating. So I kicked myself into gear trying to see if we could help out.” He got in touch with the Colorado Mammoth. The states professional lacrosse team. 

Hastings knew replacing it would cost a fortune. So did the Mammoth. Team members showed up to Englewood High school with a gift. Dan Coats is the Captain of the Colorado Mammoth team, “I think for Travis it’s overwhelming for him. A week ago I’m sure he didn’t think this would happen. But for me personally, I just feel grateful that I’m able to help out and give back to Travis. I’ve been through, growing up playing in sports and equipment is not cheap so being able to help out and give him equipment for the season it’s worthwhile for us.”

“I’m still speechless, I was in shock. Being pulled out of class like that I was expecting something bad even though I don’t do anything that is bad. I had no idea this was happening,” Hastings said. 

“Travis has great leadership skills and is a character guy, just from talking to him for a few minutes and I know he’s going to put that equipment to good use and I’m excited about the high school team this spring,” Coats said.  

Not only did the Mammoth bring a bag of brand new gear, they renewed his faith and his commitment to paying it forward, “I’ve committed to play Division 3 lacrosse at Augustana College in Illinois. With all this gear that I can’t wear all at once, it’s going to help me give back to the team. Have a bunch of new things new kids can use and if someone forgets things hey, I have all this new gear they can put on and play.”   

About the Writer
Cody Baldridge, Co-Editor in Chief

My name is Cody Baldridge and I am in 11th grade.  I am part of the Pirate football team  and would like to  go to Colorado State University when I...

1 Comment

One Response to “A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods”

1. T. Edward Hastings on February 1st, 2018 7:00 am

Awesome

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

EHS speaks out: Election day

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Music Tastes of Students

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Change In Technology

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Peer Pressure

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

EHS Halftime show 10/26/2018

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Why do we wear ID’S?

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Englewood Schools parade hits its stride on a hot day

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Englewood shows school spirit during Homecoming.

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

Not fall yet at EHS

• A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods

School

First day of school!

The student news site of Englewood High School
A gift from the (lacrosse) Gods