Taking a Stand for Teachers

Pictures by NBC News

Jaydin Webb, Editor-in-Chief

As our school days in Englewood continue the same, many brave Denver teachers marched for what they believe in and what they say will benefit their students. Over the past year, many issues involving teachers pay and school fundings have been brought to the public’s attention. Denver Public Schools union was exasperated wanting fair pay for their teachers. On February 7, the Denver Classroom Teachers Association (DCTA) Bargaining Team met with the District in one last effort to get to a deal and to delay a strike. Their efforts were rewarded on Valentines Day, when an agreement was reached and teachers went back to the classroom.

But to get from the picket line back to the classroom took work:

Henry Roman, President of the Denver Classroom Teachers Association, posted a letter on the DCTA website talking about why they chose to strike.

In the letter, Roman writes, “The district continues to emphasize their priority of keeping more money in bonuses for teachers who work in hard to serve schools. Our proposal includes bonuses for those hard to serve schools, but we know that putting more money into base pay is what will attract and retain high-quality educators, which is what our students deserve.
We know the district has the ability to adequately fund a salary schedule and to agree to the structure that we have proposed. Unfortunately, they have failed to demonstrate a willingness to do so, which is why we must now strike for our students, our schools and our profession,” Henry Roman, President of the Denver Classroom Teachers Association, posted on the DCTA website.

While the students in Denver were affected by the DPS walk-out, students here in Englewood were asked what they would do if faced with their teachers taking a stand:
“I think that I would be proud of my teachers that went on strike if not a little concerned.” Finn Talley (10).

“I think that it is cool that the teachers are speaking up and using their voice but with only subs, it would be VERY challenging to be able to do good in school.” Riley Talley (10).

“Mostly in some cases with having subs could be good for a few classes but cannot get everything done.” Joseph Groenbeck (11).

“I would feel proud of my teachers for standing up for what they believe in and taking matters into their own hands after being ignored/ rejected for such a long time.” Thomas O’Connor (12).

“I would worry how they would be without pay and how the school would run. But I understand why they one protesting and support the teachers.” Ethan Korum (10).

“If my teachers went on strike like DPS I would feel terrible and very behind on school work.” Alexandra UC-Yam (10).

“If my teachers went on strike I’d be proud of them for standing up for something they need. I’d support them the whole way but I’d hope they’d plan it out.” Mckenna Bone (12).

“I mean good for them I hope it goes well. Their job is super important they’re helping shape the world by shaping young minds and deserve to be paid more.” Katherine Moraja (10).

“I would be proud because they are using their rights and they deserve better.” Carlos Martinez (12).

“I would support them because I agree with what they are going on strike for.” Yesenia Nunez (10).

“It’s good cause teachers can go protest, but also bad because we won’t be caught up on school work.” Cherish Quiroz (12).

“I feel like it’s a worthy cause and anyone who wants to protest has the right to. I would feel good knowing what it’s for.” Madelyn Norton (10).