What defines a sport?

As EHS begins an esport club, we asked you what defines a sport.

Damian Ayala, Pirateer Staff

Is cheerleading a sport? Golf? Bowling? What about eSports? We wanted to know what you considered a sport. Why? Because many activities sit on the fence when it comes to considering if something falls under the category of sports.

Emma Heidrick (9) stands on top of a pyramid. Cheerleaders consider themselves athletes but many struggle with including them. They say it is physical and involves a lot of practice.

Sophomore Giovanni Pino takes MMA classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Factory X in Englewood. There is little doubt that Mixed Martial Arts falls under the category of sports. He takes it seriously, “Because I like to fight,” Pino define sports as an activity that “gets your blood pumping and your exercise while doing it.” He says it’s not a sport unless it gets your heart rate up and is exercise.

Merriam Webster dictionary defines sports as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess. It goes on to specifically mention racing, baseball, tennis, golf bowling, wrestling, hunting and fishing as sports. Oxford Dictionary defines sport as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment.

In a recent Forbes.com article experts weighed in, “By the latter definition (Oxford), hunting does not qualify as a sport because it does not involve competition. But hunters bill themselves as ‘sportsmen’. Does the ability to cast and reel in quality fishing as a sport? There are televised fishing competitions.”

“Simply having an activity where you compete and have fun,” is how one student defined sports, “competition, hard work, and willing to give time,” said Santiago Cisneros.

What about eSports? It certainly claims to be a sport. The Colorado High School Activities Association recently approved eSports as a high school sport. Those who play say it involves the exertion of the brain, and there is a need for fast reflexes and dexterity in operating the controller. It is competitive and millions of people are entertained. The players would maintain that they are athletes as race car drivers because both activities involve skill and dexterity in operating a machine.

Some fans will argue that the propulsion in racing is supplied by the car. The real athleticism is displayed in the ability to sit in a tiny seat at top speed and still operate a vehicle in an efficient way without crashing. In contrast, eSports athletes train for competitions, need focus and stamina.

To join the online debate, click on this link: https://www.debate.org/opinions/are-e-sports-real-sports