’13 Reasons Why’ the show is impacting EHS students

Midori Martinez-Palmer and Julie Ax

The content of the Netflix show has students and mental health professionals talking about issues facing teens. Image courtesy: IBT Times

Update: Additional resources added including guidelines for parents and educators

Have you seen ’13 Reasons Why’? A lot of students at Englewood High School have seen the Netflix series about teen suicide. Some have read the book. It has the school talking.

The 2007 story written by Jay Asher takes us through an experience of high school drama that led one girl to take her own life. In the series, you follow the life of Hannah Baker through a set of seven double-sided tapes she leaves for the people she believes caused her harm is some way. One boy, Clay Jensen, learns about the mistreatment she felt. We follow his journey through the tapes.

The Netflix show has caused controversy and uproar because it is talking about a tough situation and some adults worry it may be a trigger for those who are struggling. An article in USA Today says those contemplating suicide need help not kindness as portrayed in the series.

Daejiah Vigil has seen the series and says it has made a different in the way she looks at the world and high school life, “I like 13 Reasons Why. It has impacted my thinking because it gives you a whole different outlook on people. You may think you are not bullying somebody and do something that you think is small and it may drive that person to the edge ‘cause you don’t know what else that person is dealing with, so now I am extra nice to people.” That seems to be the take-away for many students like Alicia Martinez, “The show has influenced me not to be mean to anyone because you don’t know what they are going through.”

Alazia Ortega watched with her mother something series producers hope will happen so high school students get a stronger bond with their families while talking about a bunch of tough topics, “through the series, my mom kept saying, ‘That is sad’ or ‘Do you feel bad for her?’, it was fun, she wouldn’t stop talking about the things that kept happening. She would ask me if I thought the “list” was an exaggeration. It gave us a chance to talk about bullying.”

The list refers to a list of “hot or not” and rated students in the fictional high school based on their physical attributes. The girl who committed suicide, Hannah Baker was voted “Best Ass”. To Hannah, it was not a compliment but brought her unwanted attention and made her feel like her reputation was damaged.

Rhayonna Trujillo says she is watching with her parents too, “the parent can know what is going on at school. I like how some of it was real life situations and I was watching a video and they were trying to make it relatable. Some of it was real with all the stuff that goes on in real high school. One little thing happens and the whole school knows.” Trujillo says she knows a lot of students learned valuable lessons watching the show or reading the book, “It’s also teaching a lesson because it could impact people a different way.”

The victim, Hannah Baker explains through the tapes how she was lied about, messed with by girls and boys, assaulted, heartbroken, stalked, and felt guilt when she witnessed a crime but didn’t stop it. Hannah Baker reached out for help but her message of troubles wasn’t taken as seriously as it should have by the adults in her life.

Brianna Morgan (9) says she knows how bad behavior can affect someone in high school, “It shows how people’s lives are and how they change and no one is perfect. And it shows how you should watch what you do or say because it might seem like you didn’t do anything but it can affect someone else horribly. Also, the show explains how someone can be hurting so bad and not even show anything is wrong. You should always be nice and no one is perfect.”

Students say the Netflix series can be pretty graphic but is something to take seriously. Students at the victims’ high school put up suicide awareness posters but still didn’t stop their bad behavior. EHS students felt it was done out of guilt. In the series, Clay works through his own guilt, tries to get justice for Hannah Baker and learns to reach out to other students who may feel alone in their struggles.

The show is powerful and may bring up many feelings you find hard to control. There are numerous resources available to you if you feel you need help:

You can start with family and the EHS counselors. One counselor, Mr. Rerucha says never go it alone, “Let an adult know so they can get responsible help. It is really important to tell whoever you feel comfortable with.” If you don’t feel comfortable sharing to those you know, you can make a phone call or click on these links to talk through your feelings.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

https://safe2tell.org/

And here is the release from the National Association of School Psychologists: