A Look Back

A very special package arrived recently. It held secrets to our past at Englewood High School.

Allie Hunt, Writer

The manilla envelope was addressed to Band Director Phillip Emery. It came from a couple in Castle Pines, Colorado. Just a plain envelope with no clue as to it’s contents. When opened, it revealed a glimpse of our past here at Englewood High School.

There are pictures of cheerleaders, class rosters and two newspapers. One of the newspapers is dated back to May 29, 1941. Quite a find. The issue of “High Times” as the Pirateer was called back then talked of excited seniors ready to embark on their future and scholarship winners. One article, in particular, spoke of the graduation ceremony.

Also, the entire graduating class is listed in the paper. The seniors even had a chance to impart wisdom to fellow students.

The images included in the envelope take us back to a much simpler time when girls wore only skirts to school and lots of hairspray to keep their curls just so.

Another paper is from April 4, 1952. it talks about a radio club and new films for history classes. A boy and girl of the month were chosen from the senior class and friendship club met every two weeks.

You can get a glimpse of these issues of the paper along with issues dating back to the 1920’s in The Pirateer, room 1112.