The Pirateer

• April 3Don't get springs fever! Finish the year strong

• April 3 Do you have a story to share? Tell a Pirateer staff member!

Love is in the air

Rayna Davis and Ariana Wilborn get ready for the Valentines Dance

Samantha Wyatt, Pirateer Staff

The Valentine’s Day dance is coming up, it’s only a week away and everyone’s talking about it. You can almost feel the love in the air. Many people enjoy Valentine’s Day because it gives them the chance to show love for their significant other, “Valentine’s day is about being there for someone. It’s being devoted, making them feel great, taking them out and complimenting them. It is about making them feel like they are everything,” Chris Uriarte (10) said.

One thing we know for sure is that Valentine’s Day has been around for ages and that February has been the month of love for just as long.

According to HISTORY.com, the story behind Valentine’s Day is that Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families so he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, a priest who served during the third century in Rome, realized the injustice of the decree and defied Claudius. He continued to marry these men and their lovers in secret. When Valentine’s actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. Some believe that Valentine’s Day is celebrated in the middle of February to commemorate the anniversary of Valentine’s death or burial– which occurred around A.D. 270.

Others claim that the Christian church may have decided to place St. Valentine’s feast day in the middle of February in an effort to “Christianize” the pagan celebration of Lupercalia.

Though there are two versions of how Valentine’s Day became a thing, only one explains why it is a day of love. During the middle ages, it was commonly believed in France and England that February 14 was the beginning of bird’s mating season, which added to the idea that Valentine’s Day should be a day of romance.

Off the topic of Valentine’s Day itself, the Valentine’s Day Dance is a great way to express your love for each other in a fun way. It offers a nice place to dance, relax and hang out with friends. The greatest part is the dressing up. “I love getting to get all pretty and then come and dance the night away. School dances always add a pop to the occasions that are being celebrated.” Ashlyn Webb (9) said.

Even though girls love the opportunity to dress up, the boys enjoy getting to buy their ladies gifts. From teddy bears to chocolate boxes, the boys bring a variety of gifts to offer. “This is a time when you do special things for someone you care for and love.” Keegan Lucas (10) said. During high school, one of the main ways students show their affection is by exchanging gifts.