EHS Football season home opener Saturday

Serenity Gambrell, Staff Writer

EHS VS Arvada
Your home opener starts now!

Get your tickets from MSB Tickets here: https://www.msbtickets.com/englewoodhighschool1/event/v2eny2dg

image.png

Long practices on the field and days’ worth of hard work in the weight room pave the path for the EHS Football team this year as they are already showing great confidence. “I think we’ve been working hard all summer and we’re continuing to get better all the time, and I think we’re doing pretty good. There’s always room for improvement of course, but I feel like we have a good kind of steady motion of progress,” said quarterback Carson Campbell (10).

There’s always room for improvement of course, but I feel like we have a good kind of steady motion of progress.

— Quarterback Carson Campbell (10)

Athletes set up on the line of scrimmage to start a play in the first quarter. (Nate Smith)

Campbell has been playing football since he was five years old, “My dad played for Idaho in college and he’s been a high school football coach for over 20 years so I figured I would just follow in his footsteps and continue to play.”

His father is the EHS football coach and when the father moved to EHS from Arapahoe High School, Carson followed, “I wanted to always play for him regardless of wherever he was. Whether or not it was Arapahoe or over here at Englewood.”

Campbell says the summer training really helps the team, “We’ve been working hard all summer and we’re continuing to get better all the time, and I think we’re doing pretty good. Of course, there’s always room for improvement, but I feel we have a steady motion of progress.”

Carson’s father, Head Football Coach Mike Campbell has been coaching for over 20 years, “I started coaching high school football as an assistant for one of my old coaches. And I don’t know from there, I got into it and never been out of it. I went back, got my education license, and started teaching so I could coach,” Coach Campbell said.  

Coach Campbell keeps much of his focus on his players and their futures on the field, “I think that we have the potential to be very good, but when you’re playing that many young guys, when things get tough, sometimes you can be a little fragile, so we’ll have to see how they react when there are adverse situations and zones.” 

For every student-athlete to succeed on the field, they first must succeed in the classroom. Coach Campbell is proud of the sophomore class players, “Not one of them failed a class last year, which has never happened in my time as a coach. So I felt like that was a step in the right direction.”

EHS leads Sheridan in the first quarter of play. The team never backed off, winning 59-0 (Nate Smith)

Players are confident this season, especially the sophomores. Sophomore Josiah Jennings-Wright is excited about the season, “I’m feeling happy. It’s exciting when you have a chance to make the playoffs.”

Jennings-Wright relates to his fellow sophomore players, “We’re prepared, it’s a lot of work. But we’re young and we have time to grow.”

With a new year, there is a whole new set of freshmen players. Dylan Noll (9) is excited to be a part of the team, “It’s a great opportunity. I get the playing time, it helps me prepare for other sports, and I have good connections with people on the team.”

Celebrating the win 59-0 over Sheridan. (Nate Smith)

With the big win last week 59-0 over Sheridan, Noll and the team took it with pride, “For our first game, I’m glad we won. It wasn’t much of a challenge, but we won nonetheless which in my opinion, is a good thing.”

Your Englewood high school football team is home Saturday, September 10 at 1:00 pm for the first home game of the regular season.

EHS student leadership is urging you to dress in your best Hawaiian outfit and cheer on your team.