Students shine at HOSA state conference

Pirateer Staff, Staff Writer

Over 1,000 students from all over the state gathered to prove their expertise in health sciences. 

Members of the Englewood HOSA club, Diamond Essel, Dulce Rodriguez, Rey Murr, and Kyli Kinton, and their Advisors Amy Campbell and Marybeth Ball participated in the State Leadership Conference from the 21st of February to the 23rd in downtown Denver. 

According to the official site for the group, HOSA – Future Health Professionals, formerly known as Health Occupations Students of America, is an international career and technical student organization endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Technology Education Division of ACTE

EHS Students competed in a variety of events including Biotechnology, Forensic Science, Nutrition, Medical Terminology, and Physiology. Additional events included EXPOs and an escape room. The conference allowed students to meet others with similar career interests and further their knowledge of the health sciences. Essel and Kinton placed second in Forensic Science, “We had to look at a case report file of a deceased woman and come up with a conclusion as to what might have caused her to die. I used knowledge from Principles of Biomedical Science to figure out each piece that led us to the answer,” said senior Diamond Essel. 

Kinton placed in the top 10 in Medical Terminology out of 166 students, “It was our first time competing and we were surprised that we were able to place out of so many students. I looked at Quizlets a lot to study for Medical Terminology,” said senior Kyli Kinton.