The student news site of Englewood High School

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

EHS VS Lincoln: No One Crashes Our Party

Preview of Homecoming Football Game

Countdown to Homecoming Football
The game starts NOW!

Homecoming football for 2023 pits Englewood against Lincoln. The Pirates have been preparing for the matchup by watching film and scouting the Lincoln defense. Players know the game will feel tense because so many eyes with be on the players, especially seniors because it is their last Homecoming game and the crowds turn out in force. 

Eyes will also be on junior quarterback Carson Campbell, “this year has gotten off to a really good start. I’m really hoping to keep that momentum. You know, hopefully, God stays with me and he just keeps us healthy keeps us strong, and keeps us winning.”

This year has gotten off to a really good start. I’m really hoping to keep that momentum. You know, hopefully, God stays with me and he just keeps us healthy keeps us strong, and keeps us winning.

— Quarterback Carson Campbell

Homecoming 2023 football is on September 22, 2023. Campbell is stoked for the matchup, “You know, I feel pretty good about the Homecoming game. You know, obviously, there’s gonna be a lot of people there, it’s gonna be really exciting for us, but you know, we’ve got to stay locked in, got to stay focused on the objective that night and just winning.”

Campbell says football athletes from every class have special players, but he believes one class has really put in the work, “it’s kind of been the 2025 class. You know, that’s where we’ve had the most commitment and the highest number of players, the most kids really working, coming into the weight room during summer workouts, waking up. Really when no one else wants to just put in that work, in that commitment, even when it’s not convenient for them.”

EHS head football coach Mike Campbell knows Homecoming is exciting but he loves everything about the football season, “Well, I think you’re always excited anytime it’s a new season, right? It’s like kind of like that whole cycle of school. When you start the school year with a brand new season, you’re always excited but I really like our kids in general. They’re just good boys and a lot of fun to work with.”

We asked Coach Campbell to talk about the Pirates quarterback and things that are positive about his work habits. We also asked (even though it’s his own son) what the young Campbell should work on, “Well, I think I think for him, the only negative he’s got is probably his father messing them up. You know, that’s what you got to watch out for. But I do think he’s a coach’s son. So he has a really, really high football IQ and always has really worked hard in the offseason, got a lot stronger, his arms a lot stronger, and he’s getting faster but the thing he needs to continue to work on is his foot speed and getting faster.”

Coach says he looks forward to seeing the crowd on Homecoming football night and loves seeing the community supporting Englewood High School, “Well, it’s always fun to play on Homecoming night here at Englewood. Our crowds really show up and show out. We get a lot of the community that will come to it. It’s fun to see a bigger crowd but also people who have gone to school here and lived in the community forever showing up and it makes it a little more special.”

No one is letting their guard down as they head into this Homecoming game. Lincoln will give it their all, but so will Englewood on their home field, “At the end of the day, whenever we get to play on the road for Homecoming, it’s always on your mind to try to wreck it. You know, that’s what we always joke about and call ourselves party crashers whenever we’re playing somewhere for Homecoming because we want to wreck their dance and make them remember they lost their Homecoming. So I’m sure Lincoln will be no different. They’ll be thinking about trying to crash our party a little bit.”