The student news site of Englewood High School

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

Mental Health check: Have students recovered from SWATTING incident?

We checked in seven months later.
Serenity
Englewood Police responded to the SWATTING incident in February of 2023.

Students at Englewood High School had to experience a swatting incident on Feb. 22 during 1st period. How have students recovered? We look at how the event affected the students seven months later.

“I was kinda scared coming back to school, but it’s whatever,” said sophomore Paige Shlosman, a witness of the lockdown. “I feel safe on campus sometimes, but people are just scary.”

Another witness of the lockdown, sophomore Valentine Cabrera Preston, still has lingering feelings, “It feels kinda weird coming back. The thought of the lockdown still lingers in my mind a little bit, but it’s calmed down.” 

It started as a commotion in the hall, then just after 9:20, an announcement over the school speakers saying, “Lockdown, lights out, this is not a drill.” It was repeated twice. Within 40 seconds the school was swarming with swat team officers in full gear with long guns drawn. 

“I feel safe here at Englewood High School and feel like being back on Campus with students in classrooms and the hallways is a blessing in my life,” Football coach and psychology teacher Bryan Daldegan expressed, “I absolutely feel safe here on campus and I know our administration and campus monitors help me feel safe here.”

The incident lasted about two hours. Law enforcement called it “swatting,” when someone makes a false call to law enforcement, claiming an emergency situation and providing a real address for officers to respond to. It felt real to the students forced to hide in closets and under desks. 

When asking if their opinions changed regarding safety, both Shlosman and Cabrera Preston agreed, “It was a lot more organized than I thought,” Shlosman said, “The cops arrived faster than I thought they would.”

“I think there should be more people on watch around the school,” Cabrera Preston said, “I think they should be more cautious and more safe with that.”

My opinion has never changed but I have a personal experience as I was a senior at Arapahoe High School when we went into a very real lockdown as a student came into the school with a gun,” Daldegan said, “It was a very tough and hard couple of months that followed but I think I am stronger for having the right people in my life during that time.”

Students have a few thoughts about what should be done to prevent school incidents, “Don’t bully kids, because that’s kind of the reason why a lot of them happen. I don’t think it should happen at all.” Cabrera Preston said.

“I think having a loving, caring, and accepting culture throughout the school is a vital part of trying to make sure students feel safe and like they belong here at EHS,” Daldegan concluded, “We are all Pirates and can make Englewood a great school and environment to be in.”   

Journalism students last year did a story about the experience. It is linked here. 

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Pirateer
$61
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Englewood High School - CO. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.