The student news site of Englewood High School

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

The Pirateer

A journey from youth sports to regionals

Sophomore Maile Manfre hopes to dominate a sport she has grown to love
Sophomore Maile Manfre has loved her time on the mat from youth sports to a high school career, ““I really like to shoot double legs into a butcher or half.”

Finding a love for wrestling watching her little brother, sophomore Maile Manfre is in her fourth year of wrestling, beginning with Pirate Youth Sports and entering her second year at Englewood High School. Manfre is a hard-working female wrestler who has a lot of love for the sport and strong connections with her teammates. 

Manfre’s appreciation for wrestling grows as the season progresses, “I really like to shoot double legs into a butcher or half.” Not only does Manfre have a great connection with the sport but also, “It’s a fun community.” Manfre finds the best way she can focus and calm herself down before a match, “Something that helps me calm down is to pick a point on the floor or wall and stare at it while focusing on my breathing.”  

The manager of girls wrestling is Keaolani Manfre who is Maile’s sister. Manfre has seen her sister grow over her four years. Manfre’s sister describes her as persistent and someone who can always come through during rough matches, “She’s grown in her skill from the beginning of the season,” Keaolani said.

Manfre has flourished through the rough times on the mat and has learned new skills from these hardships. Keaolani loves to watch Manfre grow over the season, “I’ll be here for and watching her turn into an amazing wrestler the more experienced she gets.” 

Trey Jackson, the girls wrestling coach has helped Manfre grow. Jackson has recently started coaching girls’ wrestling and is “happy that women’s wrestling has grown to a point where schools are acknowledging it with new programs. Wrestling is the fastest-growing women’s sport in the country, and I am very proud of that fact.”

Jackson knows Manfre’s growth this season is just the start for this athlete, “the most experienced girl on the team having grown up wrestling. When she is on she is difficult for anyone in the state to compete against.” 

Ahead for Manfre, a trip to state if she qualifies. The team has regionals in the next two weeks.